Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Sore Stummy

My stomach has been acting funny the last few weeks. It's annoying but not enough to act on or change my consumable habits.

The conclusion to yesterday's ordeal was as expected... wrong day, not dead.

I kind of like waking up at 2:00 am. It's like the population of the planet decreases ten fold. Driving means sharing the road with 6 other cars and a truck. You never have to worry about changing lanes or finding a parking space. It's perfect. I wish we had more 24hr businesses though. I don't think we have the 24hr Walmarts yet but I would prefer to do my shopping at 3:30 in the morn. This all kind of goes hand-in-hand with my post-apocalyptic obsession. It could be zombies or war or disease, if there is a book or movie or tv-show based on the post-apocalyptic theme I am enthralled. Most of them are horrible but the idea of roaming around the planet with little to no other people getting in my way is arousing.

I remember watching the first Left Behind movie and coming away with the complete opposite reaction to it's intentions. In case you don't know, the Left Behind series are like rapture-porn for creepy born-again Christians. I mean all Christians are creepy but the rapture crowd are extra bizarre. The movies star Kirk Cameron of Growing Pains and the idiotic youtube videos where he and this moron, Ray Comfort claim Bananas were created by god for the human hand (Bananas are actually a product of cultivation and agricultural hybrids over hundreds of years and with millions of generations, they're literally designed by people.)

Anyway the plot is that all the Christians are taken to heaven and the focus is on those left behind to face the anti-christ. For some reason being left behind is a bad thing and in the end all the good-guys accept jesus and get to leave. It's an insanely successful series amongst the evangelical crowd. I just don't understand why you'd want to go to heaven when you could have a Mad-Max style life, roaming empty cities with your shirt off and that belt of machine-gun bullets around your neck. Heaven sounds like a place for an egotistical sky-monster to be praised and worshiped by drooling idiots who base all their moral decisions on getting some kind celestial cookie show instead of just being decent. Apparently their lord needs a lot of attention and hates counter opinions.

Ok enough of that.

I used to daydream about being the only person left in Montreal when I lived there. I had the street picked out where I would find a house on the hill. I planned on how I would eat, as everything in le supermarche would rot quickly. I would find a house with a pool and then fill the pool with soil and build a green house around for the winter. I would learn to use solar power but essentially I could get away with using a fireplace for heat, fire-pit to cook, and candles for the evening as I relax and read. The solar power was really just for charging my 2"think second generation iPod. I can't live without muh tunes! I would also stock up on car batteries and energizers too.

I would need to learn how to use a rifle fo sho! Animals would eventually come into the city and I need meat for protein. I also assumed wolves would get involved and I would need to defend my tattered body. At the very least dogs would go wild pretty quick and crave my real man meat. Also rifle and bow training is a good way to occupy your mind. The isolation would probably kill me within a few years anyway but that part was less interesting to contemplate.

It's kind of odd for me to daydream about complete solitude. I don't like being alone for extended periods of time. What I think the fantasies about being the only one left really boil down to is that when you're by yourself there is nobody to see you fail... except the zombies.

Song of the day:

No comments:

Post a Comment