Friday, February 18, 2011

Goodnight Gravy Bird

"Did you say creepy bird, or gravy bird?"

"I said baby bird but gravy bird is much better."

I'm downtown on a Saturday morning at my competition, The Mulberry Street Cafe. It's such a nice fucking place it makes me sad. But also happy. I'm the only patron currently and I can hear and smell the sizzle of something cookin' up. I don't think it's bacon because I don't have an erection. If it was bacon I would be embarrassed to stand up. Like grade 9 English class.

In highschool dudes get boners during class. It's usually because we're wondering what other people look like naked instead of calculating the refraction angle of a convex mirror. In the movies they try and make this some kind of crazy experience but in reality this happens every 20 minutes. You just learn not to stand or if you can, to control the erection. I don't think it's just me but I have my go to imagery for when I need my body to stop pumping blood to my little appendage. It's a frozen dead cat that me and Danny and the twins, Jay and Andrew once found in the field near Dynasty. It was the same field that had the wild hemp that they dried and sold as weed to whoever was dumb enough to buy it... "Hook me up with yer sister dude!"

Dead cat works great, so does thinking about this weird TV ONTARIO short that was like 5 min long and played in between shows that ran short because TVO doesn't play commercials. It was this bizarre little movie of these monsters either dancing or figure skating. It wasn't a cartoon either. They were the giant foam kind. From what I remember they weren't hair like a muppet. They sort of resembled a hippo and one was blue and one was yellow and orange, I think. I also remember this other 5 min show that involved a gramophone in a black room that may or may not have talked.

I came downtown with Mary. She's working from 7 until 3 so I'm just going to wander the streets and check out the renovated library and do some coding. I started to try converting web-site into Wordpress Themes and it's a lot easier now that I know what I'm reading. I also brought my camera with me so tomorrows post will include a stroll around the hammer. I wish there was a better nickname than the hammer. I remember coming up with one that was fucking perfect but have since forgotten it. .... Grimelton! That was it! I use that word in a positive way, as I love the grit.

I really want to take pictures inside the downtown Go station but I don't think that's actually allowed. Fucking 911 made taking photographs of awesome stuff risky if it's near public transport or oil rigs or government buildings. All things that have amazing architectural details perfect of photographing. I really wanted to take photographs of the CSIS building in Vancouver, not because it was nice looking but because I wanted to see what would actually happen. Curiosity killed the camera.

I also came downtown to buy a book at Mixed Media. I mentioned the book before and said that if I was going to buy it I would come here. I actually found it online for 70% less than it is here but I'm still going to buy it for more. The only way to revive a city is through financial sacrifice. Every bit counts and all that.

They're playing Pavement at the cafe. They went through Neutral Milk Hotel's An Aeroplane Over The Sea. I never really got into them, in fact I much prefer the Matt Pond PA verison of the title song over the original. I never got into Pavement either, although right now it sounds awesome and is making me want to get some. Pavement, The Flaming Lips, Wilco and The Shins are all bands that I can't understand their legend status. Oh and The Pixies too. I mean they all have good songs but compared to the entire body of work it's a relatively small number of really good songs. Especially Wilco. The same can be said for Fugazi though and fucking love them. I still think it's a little strange just how important Fugazi was in my life. Fugazi's End Hits, Les Savy Fav's Go Forth, Mogwai's Rock Action and The Faint's Danse Macabre are the four albums that define my transition into adulthood. Oh and also Rilo Kiley's The Execution of All Things, I always forget that one. Of all those albums it's the Rilo Kiley that can bring me to tears, maybe that's why I always include it on the end. Here is my favorite albums in no particular order:

Enon: High Society
Blonde Redhead: The Ballad of Certain Damaged Lemons
Rilo Kiley: The Execution of All Things
The Faint: Danse Macabre
Les Savy Fav: Go Forth
Fugazi: End Hits
Mogwai: Rock Action
Thrush Hermit: Clayton Park
North of America: Elements of an Incomplete Map

I have others like ATDI, Wolf Parade and Neko Case but those ones fuck me in a way that is unfuckable. I've done this list a thousand times but those 9 pretty much sum up my brain. If I had to add a 10th it's XO by Elliott Smith.

Oh yeah it's Friday I forgot to add videos. Well I suppose I should just add stuff from the list.

















1 comment:

  1. The Mulberry is certainly lovely, but when I was there it reminded me of the cafes here in Vancouver that are good, but not great. It was lacking just that certain something that I know your place will have in spades.

    My last year in Hamilton I bought all my books at Bryan Prince in Westdale. I've been going there my whole life, but at that time I made it a point to buy from only there rather than online. LIke you said, it was a bit more money but defintiely worth it.

    ReplyDelete