Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wooded Areas II: The Legend of Curly's Gold.

New look.

I actually created this logo a few months ago but never used it. I'm pleased with it.

I was up late lastnight. I had made a full pot of decaf and felt as if leaving a cup in exchange for sleep wasn't fair for the coffee maker. It did all that work, I just couldn't waste the sweet, sweet brown.

I think if there is one other place I would live in Ontario it would be the town of Goderich. Goderich is beautiful and the downtown looks just like the town in Back to the Future. I was even thinking about it as a possible wafflarium spot.

The downtown core is amazing. Remember how I said I would start to include more images well here's one of the town center.



In that centered green space they hold amazing festivals and shows and shit. It's a pretty far drive from Hamilton. You'd have to cut up through Stratford and shit but It's not like Timmins or The Sault or anything. and shit.

Ha ha ha, I typed Goderich into the standard google image search and this was one of the photos:



I think my hard on for this town just grew!










I love the word "goblin". It's not just the imagery but the sound and the flow as well.
I also love the word "gremlin". They're pretty close so I suppose that just makes sense. It just makes scents.

Marybral-paulsy and I have been making pendants for what has been at least 4 months. We kind of just kept experimenting until we got our process down. It involves poplar and resin. Trying to get everything to work just right has been difficult. The way we work on these things is just a few hours every couple of weeks. If we had a few days of non-stop work it would have taken much less time. Also there is a lot of drying involved. We're using custom made silicon molds which take about 4 days for each one. The way that resin works is that you need to be able to mix more than just enough for a few. Ideally I'd love to be able to do like 20 at a time, and eventually we will be. The time we've spent creating a system has been worth the wait. We would like to have a whole bunch done and ready before the spring. We want to try and sell them at the Art Crawl in Hamilton. By that point I'm sure most of you will already have at least one. We won't actually make money on it because we've spent quite a bit trying to narrow the process down so we'll probably just break even. I just like the idea of someone willing to give up something of their own because they want something I made. I don't actually care what that something is.

Probably next week some time I'll start to post pictures. They have imagery involved and we can duplicate them although I really love the idea of doing just one-offs. I already started the logo too although that will pretty much just go on the card stock that the necklaces will be on. I thought about incorporating the name (which will be revealed soonish) onto the backs but it's a lot of extra work for very little pay-off.

Too many projects on the go. That's my existence. I'll just end it here for today with one more picture of Goderich and the song of the day from an amazing band.

Goderich downtown



Song of the Day:

2 comments:

  1. I've never been to Goderich. I should go.
    Lately I've been thinking more and more about where I might end up. I need to start looking into teaching opportunities around Ontario...I remember when I was in school that the smaller places generally paid better (weird), but then there would be fewer spots.

    I'm excited about these pendants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. The word I had to type to post that last comment was "snitt".

    ReplyDelete