Answer: Sears
Olga commented the other day about me adding photo's to my story/geographic posts. What I've already started to is use google street-view to get images of my walks so I can start to add them. It's a long process but it will make the experiences a little less inside to just me. Part of me likes that only people who are familiar with say Dépanneur Lydia would have any idea what the fuck I'm talking about, but I also like readers so I'll get on that.
Today's post is going to be more about the lovely world of skepticism. Ironically, I had to pause my writing because Mary need help for her critical thinking class. She essentially needed to find articles with reference to studies and then studies about the article topic. It's kind of like that but not. Anyway I helped her get articles on the moronic wi-fi in schools thing from a few months back. It's a great example of how the public and the media will just feed each other bullshit and then regurgitate that bullshit back into each other's mouths. An awful science Hot Carl.
I won't get into the specifics of the claim but what basically happened is that some idiot parents (probably Oprah/Jenny McCarthy fans) tried, and successfully had the school remove wi-fi citing that it was causing illness in their kids. I guess physics, biology and medical science is no match for suburban moms. They know this is true despite the fact that the entire scientific community over the course of the last 50 years, and with the studies and data to show, say otherwise.
Skepticism is not cynicism. The reason many skeptics seem cynical is usually the result of years of frustration in dealing the human condition know as cognitive dissonance. Skepticism is also not "narrow" or "closed" mindedness. This label gets tossed around so much and to most of us who consider ourselves skeptics it's more hilarious than it is insulting.
For example it isn't that I am not open to the possibility that psychics are are real, I just have no reason or evidence to back up the idea that they are. People claim to have this ability all the time but to date there is no scientific evidence to support a reality in which there are individuals who can forsee the future, read my mind or talk to the dead. At least not in the way most people claim.
There have been studies where the conclusions drawn at then end of the published paper support fractional percentages of a phenomenon. What all of these published studies fail to reveal is how the margin of error for all of them is much greater than the any positive results achieved. What this means of course is that any data confirming the hypothesis falls within the area where the results can be false positives.
Most people get into para-psychology because they have a previous interest in things like psychics and ghosts and shit. It's pretty rare that you have a person enter a field where the main subject matter is completely unbiased to them. By simply choosing a field for which there is no consensus of positive results you've raised a red flag that you want to prove that positive results do exist. It most likely isn't deliberate or willfully done but results do get swayed. This is exactly why a higher success rate is needed to confirm these studies.
But the thing is that most psychics don't claim to be .275% supernatural. They claim things like 90% accuracy and it's the people who just soak up every claim without really examining it that end up calling those of us who don't "closed-minded".
I often hear the same people dismiss the scientific method as if it were a club. It's a tool. A method. So far it's been the best method we have to determine the difference between real and not real. What's really golden about that is the fact they usually use devices that are the exact result of using the same processes they claim doesn't work. When people are stabbed and bleeding out, they almost always except the medical interpretation of the sciences. It's only when that interpretation dismisses their previously held belief that they start calling the process dogmatic.
People such as homeopaths also like to do the whole "big pharma" thing. The logic is that because corporations don't give a shit about people that they're also actively trying to kill them too. I always like to point out that if "Big Pharma" really wanted to make money they could just cut all their research and laboratory teams and just sell magic water. They could just be homeopaths. That would increase profits.
My mom used to think that "Big Pharma" was actually trying to keep people sick. I responded with this: "Mom, you work as a sonographer (ultrasound technician). Would it not make more sense to you to tell people that they needed to keep coming back in order to make more money? Even if they don't need it?"
Her response usually was that that she actually cared about people unlike the evil corporations. To which I would then say: "But you do have people who need to see you more than once. What's more likely, that thousands of research scientists, medical professionals, statisticians, and people in analysis all collude to keep people sick, or that one sonographer is telling people they are sick and need to keep coming back?"
Then she would say "But I don't do that, I would never do that."
and of course my response is... "But you assume they do."
If "Big Pharma" was a huge conspiracy of people keeping the population sick we would see far more whistle-blowers. If you assume that thousands of people who all educated themselves and dedicated themselves to the health sciences are all actively hiding evidence in order make money, then I should assume you're the kind of person who would. As cynical as I am, I don't assume everyone can be that heartless. It makes more sense that a heartless person would.
Here is a small list of things that millions of people believe despite the fact that they not only lack any scientific evidence but also defy the fucking galaxy of things we already know about the natural world:
Acupuncture
Alternative medicine
Chelation therapy
Chiropractic
Colon cleansing
Detoxification
Ear candling
Energy medicine
HIV/AIDS denial
Holistic medicine
Homeopathy
Naturopathy
Psychic surgery
Vaccine denial
Vaccine autism links
Astral projection
Curses
Exorcisms
Faith healing
Ghosts
Magick
Psychics
Vampires
Voodoo
Witchcraft
Astrology
Attachment therapy
Dowsing
Dream interpretation
Evolution denial
Expert witnesses
Facilitated communication
Feng shui
Hypnosis
Numerology
Reparative therapy
Repressed memory therapy
god.
There many many more and I am sure that some of my reader's believe in one or more of those things. Even so, the simple fact remains that none it is supported by reality. Sorry about your luck. I'm too lazy to edit this mess.
Song of the Day:
I'm interested to know what you mean by scientific evidence? Silly question it may be, but some of things you listed actually are supported with minimal or moderate amounts of scientific evidence, like hynosis, accupuncture, repressed memory therapy and dream interpretation. And by scientific I mean a researcher with a MA/PhD decided to test these theories and see what the results were. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that almost everything can be scientifically tested, but it doesn't always mean it will yeild any useful results. Its one of the things Mary and I are actually learning in our critically thinking class. All of those items are "theories" that just need to be tested. For most of those things there would be evidence, but all it is doing is showing there is a relationship between whatever a researcher is researching, between two variables. Unless you don't believe psychology is a science, then I understand your thinking haha.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, its sometimes kind of fun to believe in silly things ... even for skeptics and cynical people.
Also, I was watching myth busters the other day and they proved the ear candling wrong, it was very disgusting.
hypnosis, accupuncture, repressed memory therapy and dream interpretation.
ReplyDeleteThe great thing about burden of proof is that when claims are made that these thing have minimal to moderate amounts of scientific evidence I get to say, "prove it" and just sit back and wait for the people who make the claim provide me with the evidence.
The problem with the things you listed is that even if there are confirming results in the studies done, they either no better than placebo or so insignificant that the difference between being an actual phenomenon and nothing at all is the same.
People who work in these fields claim these things are extremely effective despite all the evidence to the contrary. In fact the things you listed are not only Not supported by scientific evidence but actually have scientific evidence that works against them.
Take accupuncture. Studies will always show that there is something happening to the body because it's literally being poked with needles. But accupuncturists aren't claiming that the relief patients feel is a combination of placebo and endorphine release from randomly sticking sharp things in needles. They claim it's about chakras and energy and chi and a whole host of things that defy the known laws of physics.
When I use the term scientific evidence I'm referring to studies that have yielded enough positive results to display that the claim is real and works as described in that claim. I also define to scientific evidence as evidence that follows controlled testing and repetition. One study no matter how positive the results is still useless. Science needs consensus to weed out human errors. By repeating experiments over and over and over we help to make up for the minute problems of individual studies.
None of the things in that list have even come close to this and yet the vast majority of people simply accept them as established fact.
Most of the pseudosciences like hypnosis and repressed memory therapy are based on anecdotal evidence. Anecdotes are not scientific evidence. They don't have controls to eliminate bias. I reject any and all claims based on anecdotal evidence because it doesn't follow a rigid process to eliminate human error.
repressed memory has a mountain of evidence against it. There's a full chapter on it in the book I gave Mary for Christmas. It's ruined many lives and has been debunked over and over as the result of false memory and manipulation on the part of the therapist, both intentionally and unintentionally.
Also I agree that silly things can be fun to believe, it's when people claim it's real that we need critical thinking. People have made life-death decisions based on
When people know that the things the believe are silly but continue to believe them anyway, I feel sad for humanity. Reality is so much more interesting and has the added benefit of being true.
sorry for the spelling I'm half asleep.
ReplyDeleteI see your point completely. I don't really believe in all of those theories, I was just wondering about those four in particular just as examples of some of the points from your list that I have read about in research or my professors have referenced in lectures. Scientists are always studying something, so maybe eventually they will yield enogh positive results to make those claims (I know that is a big "if" but I'm just saying it to play devil's advocate in a way).
ReplyDeleteBy the way, you would of loved my positive psychology professor! I'm joking of course, I'm sure Mary told you about some of the topics we learned, which were very similar to some of those theories you listed.
I understand that for certain kinds of people, life is easier to manage when you can narrow things down to seemingly objective facts. There are so many possibilities in the world and unknowns that to believe in things that have no scientific support or are contrary to what we know about the natural world seems insane. Why waste time believing in things like that when there are so many scientific truths and we can count on with massive amounts of data to support their validity? Why try to wrap your brain or emotions around concepts that are tied to faith and magic? I get that. It's a need to have control over your existence and the world you live in. However, that feeling of control is an illusion. And for some people, we need the possibility that the impossible can be true as much as you need scientific facts. We need and want a life full of magic and mystery. I know that the world is a chaotic place and we're still learning things that are changing the way we view the world and the universe. I am not afraid of not having control over the unknown, because I know that I can't control it. I do respect your active pursuit to take control of things that you know you have power to change and control. You're not a victim of destiny or waiting for things to happen to you. You are actively creating the world that you want. I think that's great. But, to me, I guess trying to gain control over things I KNOW I have no real control over or limited control over seems just as a meaningless and wasteful use of energy as you think believing in magic is.
ReplyDelete